It goes without saying that insurance companies want to keep you from comparing rates. Drivers who shop around once a year are inclined to switch auto insurance companies because there is a good chance of finding a lower-cost company. A study showed that people who routinely compared rates saved approximately $70 a month as compared to drivers who never compared prices.
If finding the cheapest price on car insurance in Minneapolis is the reason you’re here, knowing how to find and compare insurance rates can make the process more efficient.
If you want to save money, the best way to find the cheapest price for Chevy Uplander insurance is to start doing a yearly price comparison from different companies who provide auto insurance in Minneapolis. You can shop around by following these guidelines.
First, take a little time to learn about how your policy works and the changes you can make to prevent rate increases. Many rating factors that are responsible for high rates like distracted driving and an unacceptable credit rating can be rectified by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
Second, get rate quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agencies can give you price quotes for a wide range of companies. View prices
Third, compare the quotes to your existing coverage to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate and change companies, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
A good piece of advice is to make sure you enter identical coverage information on each quote and and to get prices from as many companies as possible. This ensures the most accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
If you have coverage now, you stand a good chance to be able to save money using the techniques presented in this article. Finding the cheapest coverage in Minneapolis is not that difficult. Nevertheless, Minnesota drivers must understand the methods companies use to set your policy premium and use it to your advantage.
Affordable Minneapolis insurance rates with discounts
Insurance is not cheap nor is it fun to buy but you might be missing out on some discounts to help bring down the price. A few discounts will be applied when you complete an application, but some need to be requested specifically in order for you to get them.
- Active Service Discounts – Being deployed in the military may lower your prices slightly.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers – Accident-free drivers may receive a discount up to 45% compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars with anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Home Ownership Discount – Owning a home in Minneapolis may earn you a small savings since owning and maintaining a home means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Federal Government Employee – Employees or retirees of the government can save as much as 8% with certain companies.
- Driver Training Discounts – Taking a class that teaches safe driver techniques could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Accident Free – Insureds with no claims or accidents can earn big discounts in comparison with accident-prone drivers.
- Distant Student Discount – Any of your kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Minneapolis and don’t have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Save over 55 – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens can possibly qualify for lower premium rates.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Insuring a vehicle that is new can get you a discount since newer models are generally safer.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though the math looks like it’s possible to get free car insurance, insurance companies aren’t that generous.
A list of insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are:
- Farmers Insurance discounts include pay in full, youthful driver, business and professional, good student, mature driver, distant student, and early shopping.
- State Farm offers discounts including good driver, driver’s education, multiple autos, passive restraint, and multiple policy.
- Liberty Mutual has discounts for exclusive group savings, newly married, new vehicle discount, multi-car, and teen driver discount.
- MetLife may include discounts for defensive driver, multi-policy, claim-free, accident-free, good driver, good student
- Progressive offers premium reductions for multi-vehicle, multi-policy, continuous coverage, good student, online quote discount, homeowner, and online signing.
Before you buy a policy, ask every company which credits you are entitled to. Savings might not be offered in Minneapolis. To see a list of providers with discount rates in Minneapolis, click this link.
How to shop Chevy Uplander insurance online
Most major insurance companies allow you to get prices for coverage direct online. Getting quotes for Chevy Uplander insurance in Minneapolis is pretty painless as you just type in your coverage information into the quote form. After you submit the form their quoting system makes automated requests for your driving and credit reports and returns a price quote. Getting online rates for Chevy Uplander insurance in Minneapolis simplifies rate comparisons, and it’s very important to do this in order to get the cheapest possible prices on auto insurance.
To find out how much you’re overpaying now, compare rates now from the companies shown below. To compare your current rates, we recommend you type in the limits and deductibles just like they are on your policy. Doing this assures you will receive a rate comparison based on the exact same insurance coverage.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer price comparisons in Minnesota. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you get rate quotes from several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
Get More Affordable Insurance Costs by Understanding These Factors
Lots of factors are used in the calculation when premium rates are determined. Some of the criteria are obvious like your driving record, although others are more obscure such as your marital status and annual miles driven.
Car plus home equals more savings – Most larger companies give lower prices to insureds who carry more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you qualify for this discount already, drivers will still want to get quotes from other companies to verify if the discount is saving money. You may still find a better deal by buying insurance from more than one company.
Bad driving leads to higher costs – Even a single citation can increase the cost of insurance by as much as thirty percent. Good drivers receive lower rates compared to bad drivers. Drivers unfortunate enough to have dangerous violations such as reckless driving or DUI are required to maintain a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
With age comes lower prices – More experienced drivers are viewed as being more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets. Drivers with little experience have a tendency to be easily distracted when at the wheel of a vehicle so auto insurance rates are higher.
Vocation impacts prices – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Occupational choices like doctors, executives, and medical professionals are shown to have the highest rates because of intense work-related stress and lengthy work days. Conversely, careers like scientists, historians and retirees generally pay rates lower than average.
Remove unneeded add-on coverages – There are many additional coverages that may not really be needed on your Uplander policy. Things like coverage for rental cars, death and dismemberment, and additional equipment coverage are some examples. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but if they’re wasting money eliminate them to save money.
Discounts for alarm systems – Selecting a car model with advanced anti-theft systems can help bring down rates. Theft prevention features such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems all help stop car theft and help bring rates down.
Insurance costs are higher for high performance vehicles – The type of vehicle you drive makes a substantial difference in your car insurance bill. Lower performance four cylinder passenger models receive the most favorable rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
Insurance is unique, just like you
When it comes to buying coverage online or from an agent for your vehicles, there really isn’t a “perfect” insurance plan. Every situation is different.
These are some specific questions might help in determining if you could use an agent’s help.
- Does car insurance cover theft of personal property?
- Who is covered by my policy?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Is motorclub coverage worth it?
- What states are considered no-fault?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Do I have newly-acquired coverage?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
If you’re not sure about those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Compare rate quotes but buy from a local Minneapolis insurance agency
Some people prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is not a bad decision A good thing about getting free rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get cheap insurance quotes and still buy from a local agent. Buying from and supporting small agencies is important especially in Minneapolis.
Upon completion of this simple form, your coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents in Minneapolis that can provide free Minneapolis car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to visit any agencies because prices are sent to you instantly. You can find better rates without requiring a lot of work. If for some reason you want to compare rates from a specific insurance provider, you can always find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
If you want to use a reliable agent, you should know the different types of agents to choose from. Insurance agents are classified as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that elect to be independent do not work for one specific company and that gives them the ability to insure with multiple insurance companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. If they find a cheaper price, your agent can just switch to a different company and you don’t have to switch agencies.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you will want to contact at least one independent agent to have the best price comparison.
Below is a small list of independent agents in Minneapolis who may provide comparison quotes.
TCF Agency Insurance Services Inc
801 S Marquette Ave – Minneapolis, MN 55402 – (612) 661-8400 – View Map
2736 Lyndale Ave S – Minneapolis, MN 55408 – (612) 872-4004 – View Map
Exclusive agents write business for a single company such as Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. They are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agencies receive extensive training on their company’s products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Below is a short list of exclusive agents in Minneapolis who can help you get price quotes.
Picking the best auto insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a low price. A good agent in Minneapolis will have answers to these questions.
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
If you receive answers to your satisfaction to these questions as well as a price you’re happy with, you have narrowed it down to a car insurance agent that can be relied on to adequately provide insurance. Just understand that it’s your coverage and you can cancel coverage whenever you want so don’t assume that you are obligated to a policy for a certain time period.
Protect more than your Chevy Uplander
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Minneapolis, insuring your vehicle may be required for several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific minimum amount of liability protection if you want to drive legally. In Minnesota these limits are 30/60/10 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Chevy Uplander, almost all lenders will stipulate that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may insure your Chevy at a much higher rate and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your Chevy Uplander. Insurance will also pay for medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your Uplander more than offset the price you pay, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. As of last year, the average driver in Minnesota is overpaying more than $700 annually so it’s recommended you shop around at least once a year to save money.
Quote often and quote early
Cost effective Chevy Uplander insurance is available both online and with local Minneapolis insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best selection. Some car insurance companies may not have online price quotes and many times these small, regional companies only sell coverage through independent agents.
Drivers leave their current company for many reasons like an unsatisfactory settlement offer, delays in responding to claim requests, being labeled a high risk driver or policy non-renewal. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
In this article, we presented a lot of tips how to compare Chevy Uplander insurance prices in Minneapolis. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the better likelihood of getting low cost Minneapolis car insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the most savings is with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
More tips and info about car insurance is available in these articles:
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for 16 Year Olds in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Minneapolis Auto Insurance for Drivers with Bad Credit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Good Students in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- If I File a Claim will My Insurance Go Up? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)