It's a known fact that car insurance companies don't want policyholders to shop around. Drivers who do rate comparisons will probably buy a new policy because there is a high probability of finding discount prices. A recent study showed that drivers who made a habit of comparing rate quotes saved over $865 a year as compared to drivers who never compared other company's rates.
If saving money on auto insurance in Minneapolis is your ultimate goal, then knowing the best way to quote and compare insurance rates can make shopping around easier.
Really, the only way to find discount auto insurance rates in Minneapolis is to begin comparing prices regularly from providers that sell auto insurance in Minnesota. You can compare prices by following these guidelines.
First, try to learn about how insurance works and the measures you can take to lower rates. Many rating criteria that are responsible for high rates like traffic violations, accidents, and an unacceptable credit history can be rectified by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Read the full article for additional ideas to prevent high rates and find hidden discounts.
Second, request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
Third, compare the new rates to your current policy premium to see if cheaper Spark coverage is available in Minneapolis. If you find a lower rate and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
One key aspect when comparing rates is to try to use similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote and and to look at every company you can. Doing this enables an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete price analysis.
Comparing rates for the most affordable auto insurance in Minneapolis is not as hard as you think. If you have coverage now or just want to reduce your rates, you can use this information to find the best rates without having to cut coverage. Consumers just need to understand the most time-saving way to compare prices using one simple form.
Best Chevy Spark insurance rate quotes in Minnesota
The following companies have been selected to offer price quotes in Minneapolis, MN. If you wish to find cheap car insurance in Minneapolis, we suggest you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
What Determines Chevy Spark Insurance Premiums?
Part of the auto insurance buying process is learning a few of the rating criteria that help calculate the price you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively determines premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that could help you find big savings. Many different elements are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving history, but others are less apparent such as your marital status or your financial responsibility.
Shown below are most of the major factors companies use to determine prices.
Qualify for multi-policy discounts - Most larger auto insurance companies provide lower prices to policyholders that buy multiple policies in the form of a multi-policy discount. The discount can be 10 percent or more. Even with this discount, it's always a smart idea to shop around to help ensure you have the lowest rates.There is a chance you can save even more by buying auto insurance from a different company.
Use but don't abuse your insurance - Auto insurance companies in Minnesota provide cheaper rates to drivers who do not file claims often. If you file a lot of claims you can pretty much guarantee higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Performance impacts insurance rates - The performance level of the car, truck or SUV you drive makes a substantial difference in your rates. The cheapest insurance rates are for the lowest performance passenger models, but your final cost has many other factors.
No auto insurance policy gaps is important - Driving with no insurance is not a good idea and auto insurance companies will penalize you for letting your insurance lapse for non-payment. Not only will you pay higher rates, not being able to provide proof of insurance will get you fines or a revoked license. You may then have to file a SR-22 with the Minnesota department of motor vehicles.
Prevent theft and save - Buying a car with a theft deterrent system can earn a premium discount. Systems that thwart thieves like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM's OnStar system all aid in stopping car theft and help bring rates down.
Your gender affects rates - Over the last 30 years, statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. The data does not necessarily mean that men are WORSE drivers than women. They both cause accidents in similar numbers, but the men tend to have more serious accidents. Not only are claims higher, but men get more serious tickets like reckless driving and DUI.
Lower-cost Chevy Spark insurance rates in Minneapolis
Some insurance providers don't always advertise every possible discount very clearly, so the list below details a few of the more well known and the more hidden discounts you could be receiving when you buy Minneapolis auto insurance online.
- Early Renewal Discounts - Some insurance companies give discounts for switching policies before your current coverage expires. You could save around 10% when you buy Minneapolis auto insurance online.
- Club Memberships - Being a member of specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations could earn you a nice discount when shopping for car insurance.
- Early Payment Discounts - By paying your policy upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can avoid the installment charge.
- Student Driver Training - Teen drivers should enroll and complete driver's education in school or through a local driver safety program.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts - Vehicles that have steering control and anti-lock brakes are safer to drive and will save you 10% or more on Spark insurance in Minneapolis.
- No Charge for an Accident - This isn't a discount exactly, but some companies like GEICO, Allstate and Liberty Mutual will let one accident slide before your rates go up if you have no claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Distant College Student Discount - College-age children who are attending college and do not have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Own a Home - Owning a home in Minneapolis can earn you a little savings because owning a home requires personal responsibility.
- E-sign - A few larger companies will give you a small discount for buying your policy digitally online.
A quick disclaimer, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the whole policy. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So even though it sounds like it's possible to get free car insurance, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
Popular car insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are:
- State Farm has savings for safe vehicle, defensive driving training, good driver, Drive Safe & Save, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and student away at school.
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for business and professional, early shopping, good student, multi-car, mature driver, and electronic funds transfer.
- GEICO includes discounts for multi-policy, anti-lock brakes, military active duty, driver training, good student, emergency military deployment, and anti-theft.
- American Family may include discounts for bundled insurance, good student, Steer into Savings, defensive driver, good driver, and multi-vehicle.
- Nationwide may have discounts that include anti-theft, accident-free, easy pay, good student, defensive driving, multi-policy, and business or organization.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including good student, continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, and online signing.
Check with all the companies to apply every possible discount. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply in your area.
When do I need to get advice from an agent?
Many people just prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that can be a great decision Licensed agents can help you build your policy and help file insurance claims. The best thing about getting online price quotes is you may find cheaper prices and still choose a local agent. Putting coverage with neighborhood insurance agencies is definitely important in Minneapolis.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this short form, your insurance coverage information is sent to local insurance agents that give free quotes for your business. There is no reason to leave your computer since rate quotes are delivered instantly to you. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, just visit that company's website and complete a quote there.
When researching a reliable insurance agency, it helps to know the two different types of agencies and how they function. Insurance agents can be categorized as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Both types of agents can do a good job, but it's worth mentioning the difference in the companies they write for because it can impact buying decisions.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent do not sell for just one brand so as a result can place your coverage through lots of different companies and find the cheapest rate. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply move your policy to a different company without you having to go to a different agency. When searching for an agent, it's recommended you include rate quotes from multiple independent agents for the best price selection. They also have the ability to place coverage with additional companies that you may not be familiar with which may have better rates.
Listed below is a partial list of independent agencies in Minneapolis that may be able to give you free insurance quotes.
- Cheap Car Insurance Minneapolis Auto Insurance Agency
2227 W 21st St - Minneapolis, MN 55405 - (612) 425-1616 - View Map
- Dedicated Insurance
2736 Lyndale Ave S - Minneapolis, MN 55408 - (612) 872-4004 - View Map
- Bernie Glover Insurance Agency
2520 Lowry Ave N - Minneapolis, MN 55411 - (612) 522-6531 - View Map
Exclusive agents can only provide one company's prices and some examples include Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to place coverage with different providers so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agencies receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Consumers frequently buy from the same agent for years primarily because of the prominence of the brand rather than having the cheapest rates.
Below are Minneapolis exclusive agencies that can give you rate quotes.
- Jeff Meyer - State Farm Insurance Agent
4316 S Upton Ave - Minneapolis, MN 55410 - (612) 920-2340 - View Map
- Mary Trondson - State Farm Insurance Agent
1215 Lagoon Ave - Minneapolis, MN 55408 - (612) 823-4111 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Ed Scislow
5208 Bloomington Ave - Minneapolis, MN 55417 - (612) 353-5410 - View Map
Finding the right auto insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. Some important questions to ask are:
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Minneapolis?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Minnesota?
How much car insurance do I need?
When it comes to buying coverage, there really isn't a perfect coverage plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. For instance, these questions may help you determine if your situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- How do I buy GAP insurance?
- Is a fancy paint job covered?
- Is business property covered if stolen from my car?
- Who is covered when they drive my Chevy Spark?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
If you can't answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Persistent drivers can save
More affordable insurance in Minneapolis is possible from both online companies and from local agencies, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some companies do not provide internet price quotes and usually these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, make sure you don't buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are too many instances where an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that they should have had better coverage. The ultimate goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best possible price, not the least amount of coverage.
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Hybrid Vehicles in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates After a Speeding Ticket in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a GMC Sierra in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Car Insurance FAQ (Trusted Choice)
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)