Locating low-cost insurance for a GMC Sierra in Minnesota can normally be a lot of work, but you can learn these tips and make it easy.
There are more efficient ways to compare auto insurance rates so you’re going to learn the quickest way to compare rates for a GMC and obtain the lowest price from both online companies and Minneapolis agents.
If you have coverage now or need new coverage, you will benefit by learning to reduce premiums without reducing coverage. Comparison shopping for the lowest cost insurance coverage in Minneapolis is easy to do. Smart shoppers just have to use how to shop for insurance instantly.
The most recommended method to compare insurance rates in your area utilizes the fact all the major auto insurance companies provide online access to provide you with free rate quotes. The only thing you need to do is give the companies some data including the ages of drivers, the make and model of your vehicles, deductibles desired, and your education level. Your insurance information is then sent to many of the top insurers and they return cost estimate instantly.
If you wish to get multiple quotes for your GMC Sierra now, click here and find out if lower rates are available in Minneapolis.
The companies shown below are ready to provide comparison quotes in Minnesota. To find the best cheap car insurance in Minneapolis, MN, it’s highly recommended you get rates from several of them to get the lowest price.
GMC Sierra detailed coverage information
The premium information below outlines a range of policy rates for GMC Sierra models. Having knowledge of how auto insurance prices are determined is important to be able to make decisions on which insurance to purchase.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$264||$484||$324||$20||$96||$1,188||$99|
|Sierra SL Extended Cab 2WD||$264||$484||$324||$20||$96||$1,188||$99|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$264||$484||$324||$20||$96||$1,188||$99|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 2WD||$298||$570||$324||$20||$96||$1,308||$109|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$298||$570||$324||$20||$96||$1,308||$109|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$298||$570||$324||$20||$96||$1,308||$109|
|Sierra SLE Extended Cab 4WD||$298||$570||$324||$20||$96||$1,308||$109|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$298||$570||$324||$20||$96||$1,308||$109|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 2WD||$298||$570||$324||$20||$96||$1,308||$109|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 4WD||$298||$570||$324||$20||$96||$1,308||$109|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 4WD||$298||$570||$324||$20||$96||$1,308||$109|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$298||$570||$324||$20||$96||$1,308||$109|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$332||$656||$324||$20||$96||$1,428||$119|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 2WD||$332||$656||$324||$20||$96||$1,428||$119|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 4WD||$332||$656||$324||$20||$96||$1,428||$119|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Minnesota minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and safe-driver. Price information does not factor in specific zip code location which can increase or decrease premium rates substantially.
The diagram below illustrates how your deductible choice and can increase or decrease GMC Sierra insurance premiums for different categories of driver ages. Data assumes a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
How accidents and violations affect rates in Minneapolis
The illustration below demonstrates how traffic citations and accidents raise GMC Sierra auto insurance costs for different insured age categories. The price estimates are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Men versus women drivers and insurance cost
The information below shows the difference between GMC Sierra annual premium costs for male and female drivers. The costs are based on no claims or violations, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are factored in.
Full coverage rates vs. liability-only in Minneapolis
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of GMC Sierra auto insurance rates with and without physical damage coverage. The premiums are based on no claims or driving violations, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no additional discounts are factored in.
When to drop full coverage
There is no exact formula for excluding comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than about 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let’s say your GMC Sierra replacement cost is $9,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would receive is $8,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If it’s costing in excess of $800 a year to have full coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are some conditions where removing full coverage is not a good plan. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to maintain full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not remove full coverage.
Auto insurance just makes sense
Even though Minneapolis Sierra insurance rates can get expensive, insurance is required in Minnesota but also provides important benefits.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car legally. In Minnesota these limits are 30/60/10 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Sierra, almost every bank will make it a condition of the loan that you buy full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your GMC at a significantly higher premium and make you pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your GMC Sierra and your assets. Insurance will pay for most medical and hospital costs incurred in an accident. Liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you have damage to your GMC as the result of the weather or an accident, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly for liability claims. But the average American driver overpays as much as $700 annually so it’s important to compare rates every year to ensure rates are competitive.
Learn How to Lower Your Insurance Premiums
Multiple criteria are used in the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. A few of the factors are predictable like your driving record, although some other factors are not as apparent like where you live or your commute time.
The items below are just a few of the factors used by your company to calculate your rate level.
Annual miles is a factor – The more you drive your GMC in a year’s time the higher your rates will be. Most companies price each vehicle’s coverage based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Cars and trucks used primarily for pleasure use get more affordable rates compared to those used for work or business. Incorrect rating for your Sierra can cost quite a bit. It’s a good idea to make sure your policy is showing annual mileage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Teenage drivers are expensive to insure – Mature drivers tend to be more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and are generally more financially stable. Youthful drivers have a tendency to be more careless when driving with friends so car insurance rates are higher.
The following chart is based on a single driver, full coverage with $250 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Urban residents pay more – Having an address in less populated areas of the country is a good thing when buying car insurance. Fewer drivers and short commutes translates into fewer accidents. Drivers in populated Minnesota areas tend to have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. More time behind the wheel statistically corresponds to a higher accident and claim rate.
Performance impacts insurance costs – The performance of the vehicle you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a huge difference in the rate you pay. The lowest base rates are for low performance passenger cars, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
The next chart uses these variables: married male driver age 30, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. The data compares GMC Sierra policy rates compared to other models of vehicles that have a range of performance risks.
GMC Sierra statistical loss data – Insurance companies use past loss statistics for each vehicle when determining insurance rates. Vehicles that statistically have a higher amount or frequency of claims will cost more for specific coverages. The table below illustrates the insurance loss data used by companies for GMC Sierra vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, is set at 100. Percentage numbers below 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while percentages above 100 point to more claims or a tendency for claims to be larger.
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|GMC Sierra 1500 2WD||89||122||106|
|GMC Sierra 1500 4WD||97||86||79|
|GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 2WD||87||99||132||69||69||89|
|GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4WD||89||102||114||52||51||73|
|GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 2WD||98||109||96||70|
|GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4WD||78||85||89||65||56||94|
|GMC Sierra 2500 4WD||70||56|
|GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab 2WD||63||101|
|GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab 4WD||91||118||105||43||50||90|
|GMC Sierra 2500 Ext Cab 4WD||67||108||85||40|
|GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab 4WD||85||128||121||35|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Car insurance discounts are available to cut your rates
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Some trigger automatically at quote time, but some need to be requested specifically prior to getting the savings.
- Anti-theft System – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are stolen less frequently and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Military Rewards – Being deployed in the military can result in better prices.
- Auto/Life Discount – If the company offers life insurance, you could get a lower premium rate if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Senior Discount – Older drivers are able to get better car insurance rates.
- ABS Brakes – Cars and trucks equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Paper-free Discount – A few companies may give you up to $50 simply for signing online.
- Federal Government Employee – Simply working for the federal government can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your car insurance provider.
- Air Bag Discount – Options like air bags or motorized seat belts can receive discounts of more than 20%.
You can save money using discounts, but most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Despite the appearance that you can get free auto insurance, it’s just not the way it works.
The chart below compares GMC Sierra premium costs with and without discounts. The prices are based on a female driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, Minnesota state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, homeowner, marriage, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy discounts applied.
Some of the larger companies that may include these discounts are:
Before purchasing a policy, check with all companies you are considering which discounts can lower your rates. A few discounts might not apply everywhere. To choose insurance companies with discount car insurance rates in Minnesota, click here.
Which is the best auto insurance?
Always remember that when buying coverage for your vehicles, there really isn’t a “perfect” insurance plan. Each situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining whether or not you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- If I use my vehicle for business use is it covered?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- Do I need special coverage while pulling a rented trailer?
- Does every company file a SR-22 automatically?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Minnesota?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It is quick, free and may give you better protection.
Auto insurance agents are trained to help
Certain consumers still prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and doing that can be a smart decision Insurance agents can make sure you are properly covered and help submit paperwork. A good thing about getting online price quotes is that you can obtain the lowest rates but still work with a licensed agent. Putting coverage with small agencies is especially important in Minneapolis.
After completing this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is transmitted to companies in Minneapolis that can give you free Minneapolis auto insurance quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You won’t even need to visit any agencies because prices are sent straight to your inbox. If for some reason you want to quote rates from a specific company, just find their quoting web page and fill out their quote form.
If you are wanting to find local Minneapolis agents, you need to know there are two different agency structures and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agents can be categorized as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Both handle auto insurance, but it’s important to know why they differ because it may have an impact on the type of agent you choose.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Independent agencies are appointed with more than one company so as a result can place your coverage through many companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If your premiums go up, your policy is moved internally which makes it simple for you.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, it’s recommended you include at a minimum one independent agency to get the best comparison. They also have the ability to place coverage with companies you’ve never heard of that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Shown below is a small list of independent insurance agents in Minneapolis that may be able to provide price quotes.
- Landreau Insurance Group Inc
2615 E Franklin Ave – Minneapolis, MN 55406 – (612) 276-7035 – View Map
- CBIZ Associated Insurance Agents
2800 Freeway Blvd – Minneapolis, MN 55430 – (763) 549-2200 – View Map
- RJF Agencies, Inc.
7225 Northland Dr N #300 – Minneapolis, MN 55428 – (763) 746-8000 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive write business for a single company like Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so you might not find the best rates. They are trained well on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Some consumers prefer to purchase coverage from exclusives partially due to the brand legacy rather than low price.
Shown below are Minneapolis exclusive agencies who can help you get price quotes.
- Farmers Insurance – Gretchen Frana
5445 S 28th Ave – Minneapolis, MN 55417 – (612) 724-4309 – View Map
- Kelly Mulligan Allstate Insurance Agency
80 8th St S – Minneapolis, MN 55402 – (612) 713-9253 – View Map
- State Farm Insurance: Karl Herman
3017 W 56th St – Minneapolis, MN 55410 – (612) 455-8844 – View Map
Picking an auto insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a cheap price. Any agent in Minneapolis should be willing to answer these questions.
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
Minneapolis auto insurance company ratings
Buying coverage from a highly-rated car insurance provider can be a challenge considering how many companies sell coverage in Minnesota. The company rank data in the next section could help you pick which coverage providers to look at when shopping your coverage around.
Top 10 Minneapolis Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- Safeco Insurance
- 21st Century
- Titan Insurance
Top 10 Minneapolis Car Insurance Companies Overall
- 21st Century
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- Safeco Insurance
- State Farm
- American Family
Lower rates by being persistent
We just showed you many tips how you can get a better price on GMC Sierra insurance in Minneapolis. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the lowest priced auto insurance comes from the least-expected company.
When getting Minneapolis auto insurance quotes online, never buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many situations where an insured cut physical damage coverage and discovered at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.
People leave their current company for a variety of reasons including not issuing a premium refund, extreme rates for teen drivers, unfair underwriting practices or high rates after DUI convictions. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching auto insurance companies can be easy and end up saving you some money.
Steps to finding the cheapest rates for GMC Sierra insurance in Minneapolis
To save the most money, the best way to get cheaper GMC Sierra insurance in Minneapolis is to regularly compare price quotes from insurance carriers that insure vehicles in Minnesota. Prices can be compared by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Take a little time to learn about car insurance and the modifications you can make to prevent high rates. Many risk factors that cause rate increases like accidents, careless driving, and a less-than-favorable credit score can be improved by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Step 2: Get rate quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates from multiple insurance companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to your current policy to determine if you can save on Sierra insurance in Minneapolis. If you find a lower rate quote and decide to switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
One important bit of advice is that you use the same deductibles and limits on each quote and and to analyze as many different companies as possible. This helps ensure an accurate price comparison and a better comparison of the market.
Additional information is available at the links below
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for 16 Year Olds in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Minneapolis Car Insurance for State Employees? (FAQ)
- How Much is Minneapolis Car Insurance for a 20 Year Old Male? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Minneapolis Auto Insurance Rates for Immigrants? (FAQ)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What to do at the Scene of an Accident (Insurance Information Institute)