If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to find affordable auto insurance rates is to compare prices annually from different companies who can sell car insurance in Minneapolis. Drivers can shop around by following these steps.
- First, try to understand how your policy works and the modifications you can make to prevent high rates. Many things that increase rates like accidents, traffic violations, and an unacceptable credit score can be controlled by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. This article gives more ideas to help find cheaper rates and get discounts that may be available to you.
- Second, obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agencies can provide prices for a wide range of companies.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your current policy to determine if you can save on HR-V insurance. If you find a lower rate quote and switch companies, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Fourth, provide notification to your current company to cancel the current policy. Submit the required down payment along with the signed application to your new agent or company. Be sure to place your new proof of insurance paperwork above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
One piece of advice is to make sure you’re comparing similar limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get price quotes from all possible companies. Doing this enables a level playing field and a complete price analysis.
A recent insurance study discovered that the majority of drivers kept buying from the same company for more than four years, and practically 40% of insurance customers have never compared rate quotes at all. Many drivers in the U.S. could save an average of $860 each year just by getting comparison quotes, but most tend to underestimate how much savings they would realize if they replace their high priced policy.
Getting a cheaper price on insurance can be quick and easy. Drivers just need to invest a few minutes comparing price quotes from different insurance companies.
Online shopping is fast and free, and it makes it a waste of time to drive to all the different insurance agencies. Buying insurance online makes this unnecessary unless you’re the type of person who wants the trained guidance that only an agent can give. It is possible with some companies get prices online but have a local agent actually write the policy.
The auto insurance companies shown below can provide free rate quotes in Minneapolis, MN. To find cheaper auto insurance in Minnesota, we recommend you get price quotes from several of them to get the best price comparison.
Cheap Honda HR-V insurance in Minneapolis
Car insurance companies don’t always list all discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the following list contains a few of the more common as well as the least known discounts that you may qualify for.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Options like air bags may qualify for discounts up to 30%.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% as compared to drivers with claims.
- Onboard Data Collection – Minneapolis drivers who agree to allow data collection to analyze when and where they use their vehicle through the use of a telematics system such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system could save a few bucks as long as they are good drivers.
- Safety Course Discount – Completing a course that instructs on driving safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Insuring a new HR-V can save you some money because new model year vehicles are generally safer.
- Auto/Life Discount – Some companies give a discount if you purchase a life policy as well.
Consumers should know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Even though the math looks like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, nobody gets a free ride.
A few companies that possibly offer some of the discounts shown above include:
Before purchasing a policy, check with all the companies what discounts are available to you. Depending on the company, some discounts may not be offered in Minneapolis.
Honda HR-V Insurance Rate Factors
Many things are taken into consideration when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are pretty understandable like a motor vehicle report, but other criteria are less apparent such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating. It’s important that you understand a few of the rating criteria that play a part in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. If you have some idea of what determines base rates, this allows you to make good choices that could result in big savings.
Which gender costs less? – Statistics demonstrate that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. This data doesn’t prove that women are BETTER drivers than men. Women and men have at-fault accidents at about the same rate, but guys tend to have higher claims. They also get higher numbers of serious violations like reckless driving and DUI.
More policies can equal more savings – Most insurers provide better rates to buyers who have multiple policies with them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to 10 percent or more. Even if you already get this discount, it’s in your best interest to get quotes from other companies to help guarantee you have the best rates. You may still find lower rates even if you have your coverage with different companies
Costs impacted by vehicle usage – The more you drive your Honda in a year the more you’ll pay to insure it. The majority of insurers calculate prices based on how the vehicle is used. Vehicles that do not get driven very much cost less to insure than vehicles that are driven to work every day. It’s always a good idea to double check that your declarations sheet states the right rating data. Having an incorrect usage rating on your HR-V may be costing you higher rates.
Remove unneeded incidental coverages – Policies have extra add-on coverages you can purchase on your auto insurance policy. Insurance for vanishing deductibles, better glass coverage, and term life insurance could be just wasting money. These may sound like a good investment at first, but now you might not need them so consider taking them off your policy.
Deter theft and pay less – Purchasing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can save you some money. Advanced theft deterrents like vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack can thwart car theft and help bring rates down.
How much liability do you need? – Liability coverage provides coverage if you are determined to be liable for an accident. It will provide you with a defense in court which can cost a lot. Liability is cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
Better rates on safer vehicles – Vehicles that have high safety ratings tend to be cheaper to insure. Vehicles engineered for safety reduce occupant injuries and lower rates of occupant injuries means your insurance company pays less and cheaper rates on your policy.
Your occupation and auto insurance rates – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Careers like doctors, airline pilots, and medical professionals generally pay the highest average rates due to intense work-related stress and lengthy work days. On the flip side, jobs such as professors, historians and retirees have lower than average premiums.
When to have guidance from an insurance agent
A small number of people would prefer to sit down with an agent and that can be a great decision Most agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help submit paperwork. A nice benefit of price shopping on the web is that drivers can save money and get better rates but still work with a licensed agent.
After completing this simple form, your insurance coverage information is immediately sent to companies in Minneapolis who want to provide quotes to get your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to do any legwork because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. If you want to quote rates from one company in particular, feel free to jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
Selecting a insurance company needs to be determined by more than just the premium amount. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- How long has the business existed?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
Pick the best auto insurance agent in Minneapolis for you
If you want to buy car insurance from an insurance agent, there are two types of agencies and how they operate. Insurance agencies in Minneapolis can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Both insure your vehicles, but it’s worth mentioning why they differ because it may have an impact on the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agents generally can only insure with one company like Allstate and State Farm. These agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so you might not find the best rates. They are well trained on their company’s products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
The following are Minneapolis exclusive agents willing to provide price quotes.
American Family Insurance – Patrick Fagerlee Agency Inc
3910 Central Ave NE – Minneapolis, MN 55421 – (763) 789-6201 – View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents do not sell for just one brand so as a result can place your coverage through lots of different companies and get you the best rates possible. If your agent finds better pricing, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing rates, you definitely need to get rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Shown below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Minneapolis that can give you price quote information.
Minneapolis St. Paul Agency Insurance and Risk Management
2469 University Ave W – St Paul, MN 55114 – (651) 647-9665 – View Map
If you get positive feedback to any questions you have as well as the cheapest Honda HR-V insurance in Minneapolis quotes, you have narrowed it down to a car insurance agent that will service your policy. It’s important to know that consumers can cancel a policy any time you want so don’t feel that you’re stuck with the car insurance policy indefinitely.
Do I just need basic coverages?
Always keep in mind that when comparing coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
These are some specific questions may help you determine if your insurance needs might need an agent’s assistance.
- Should I pay a claim out-of-pocket?
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Why do I have to buy liability insurance?
- Can I use my car for my catering business?
- Am I covered if I hit someone who is not insured?
- Is motorclub coverage worth it?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my Honda HR-V is totaled?
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
Lower rates by being persistent
People leave their current company for any number of reasons including policy non-renewal, delays in responding to claim requests, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and being labeled a high risk driver. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new company is not as hard as you think.
When shopping online for car insurance, don’t be tempted to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where an insured cut physical damage coverage and discovered at claim time that it was a big error on their part. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
In this article, we covered a lot of techniques to get a better price on Honda HR-V insurance in Minneapolis. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the higher your chance of finding low cost Minneapolis car insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest prices are with an unexpected company.
More information is available on the following sites:
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Handicapped Drivers in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for a Ford Explorer in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Minneapolis Auto Insurance for a Honda Pilot? (FAQ)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)