Anyone knows that insurance companies don’t want their policyholders to compare prices. People who shop around for a cheaper policy are highly likely to move their business because there are good odds of finding a more affordable policy. A recent study showed that consumers who shopped around saved approximately $865 a year compared to drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding the lowest rates on auto insurance is the reason for your visit, then understanding how to get free comparison quotes and analyze insurance coverage can help make the process easier.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to get low-cost car insurance rates is to compare quotes annually from different companies who provide auto insurance in Minneapolis. Prices can be compared by completing these steps.
- It will benefit you to learn about individual coverages and the changes you can make to keep rates in check. Many risk factors that increase rates like multiple speeding tickets and poor credit can be remedied by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Quote rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates for a wide range of companies.
- Compare the quotes to your current policy premium and determine if there is any savings. If you find a better price and switch companies, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
An important part of this process is that you’ll want to make sure you compare identical limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to compare as many companies as possible. Doing this enables a level playing field and maximum price selection.
If you already have coverage or are shopping for new coverage, take advantage of these tips to save money without reducing coverage. Quoting and comparing affordable policy in Minneapolis is not as hard as you think. You just need to learn the most efficient way to find the lowest price online.
Cutting your Minneapolis car insurance rates can be relatively painless. The only requirement is to take time comparing free Minneapolis car insurance quotes to discover which company has inexpensive Minneapolis car insurance quotes.
The car insurance companies shown below offer price comparisons in Minneapolis, MN. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
Why you need Chevy vehicle insurance in Minnesota
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in Minneapolis, maintaining insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require specific minimum amounts of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Minnesota these limits are 30/60/10 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Volt, almost all lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you carry insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If the policy lapses, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Chevy at a much higher premium rate and require you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Auto insurance preserves both your Chevy and your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay for a defense attorney if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly when you have a large claim. An average driver in America overpays more than $865 each year so you should quote your policy with other companies once a year at a minimum to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Minneapolis insurance discounts for a Chevy Volt
Some providers do not list all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the list below details some of the more common as well as some of the hidden credits that may apply to you. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Sign Online – Certain insurance companies provide a small discount get Minneapolis car insurance on the web.
- Life Insurance – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a lower premium rate if you buy a life policy as well.
- Full Payment Discount – By making one initial payment instead of making monthly payments you may reduce your total bill.
- Multiple Cars – Buying insurance for multiple cars or trucks on one policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Homeowners Savings – Owning a house in Minneapolis can earn you a little savings because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- Student Driver Training – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to enroll in driver’s education in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you have multiple policies with one insurance company you could earn a discount of up to 20% off your total Volt insurance premium.
- Military Deployment Discount – Having a deployed family member could qualify you for better premium rates.
- Driving Data Discount – Drivers who elect to allow their insurance company to look at driving patterns by using a telematics device such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive may see discounts if their driving habits are good.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think you can get free auto insurance, you aren’t that lucky.
A list of companies and a partial list of their discounts are shown below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include student away at school, driver’s education, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple autos, good driver, and safe vehicle.
- GEICO may include discounts for anti-lock brakes, five-year accident-free, defensive driver, military active duty, daytime running lights, anti-theft, and air bags.
- Allstate policyholders can earn discounts including EZ pay plan discount, good payer, early signing, passive restraint, teenSMART discount, new car, and auto/life discount.
- SAFECO offers discounts for anti-theft, safe driver, accident prevention training, homeowner, teen safety rewards, and anti-lock brakes.
- Farm Bureau discounts include multi-vehicle, youthful driver, driver training, renewal discount, multi-policy, and good student.
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-vehicle, homeowner, good student, multi-policy, online signing, and online quote discount.
- AAA offers discounts including multi-car, pay-in-full, education and occupation, multi-policy, good driver, AAA membership discount, and good student.
If you need cheaper Minneapolis car insurance quotes, ask all companies you are considering which discounts can lower your rates. Depending on the company, some discounts might not apply in Minneapolis. For a list of insurance companies with discount rates in Minneapolis, click this link.
Local Minneapolis auto insurance agents
Some consumers would prefer to have an agent’s advice. Insurance agents will help you protect your assets and help you file claims. The biggest benefit of getting free rate quotes online is you can get cheap insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, the quote information is sent to local insurance agents who will give you quotes to get your business. You never need to find an agent because quoted prices will be sent instantly to you. If for some reason you want to quote rates from a specific company, just navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
Picking an insurance company should include more criteria than just the premium amount. Any agent in Minneapolis should be willing to answer these questions.
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Minneapolis?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
Exclusive and independent Minneapolis car insurance agents
If you would like to find a good insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agencies and how they function. Insurance agencies are classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Both types of agents can do a good job, but it’s worth learning the differences since it can affect the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel can only quote rates from one company and examples are American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. They usually cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they really need to provide good service. They are well trained on sales techniques and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Consumers frequently buy from the same agent for years mainly due to high brand loyalty instead of buying on price only.
Below are exclusive agencies in Minneapolis willing to provide price quotes.
- American Family Insurance – Katie Bard
5459 Nicollet Ave – Minneapolis, MN 55419 – (612) 345-7900 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Charles Fritz
2213 Johnson St NE – Minneapolis, MN 55418 – (612) 788-6279 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Lois A. Castaneda
127 W Grant St, # C – Minneapolis, MN 55403 – (612) 871-6830 – View Map
Agents in the independent channel are not limited to a single company so they can insure your vehicles with a variety of different insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. If they find a lower price, they simply switch companies in-house and you don’t have to switch agencies. When searching for an agent, you absolutely need to check rates from several independent agencies to have the most options to choose from. They often place coverage with less well-known companies which can save you money.
Listed below are independent agents in Minneapolis that can give you price quotes.
- Dedicated Insurance
2736 Lyndale Ave S – Minneapolis, MN 55408 – (612) 872-4004 – View Map
- Erickson Insurance Agency
8525 Edinbrook Crossing #401 – Minneapolis, MN 55443 – (763) 657-7608 – View Map
- Criterion Insurance Agency
3300 Fernbrook Ln N #170 – Minneapolis, MN 55447 – (800) 701-5909 – View Map
If you receive reasonable responses and a low price estimate, you may have just found an auto insurance agent that is reputable and can properly insure your vehicles. Just keep in mind once you purchase a policy you can cancel your coverage when you choose so never assume you’re contractually obligated to the insurance policy for the full policy term.
Best car insurance company in Minneapolis
Choosing the highest-rated insurance company can be difficult considering how many companies sell insurance in Minnesota. The company ratings listed below can help you select which auto insurers to look at purchasing from.
Top 10 Minneapolis Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- USAA – 92%
- American Family – 88%
- State Farm – 88%
- Nationwide – 88%
- 21st Century – 88%
- AAA Insurance – 87%
- Liberty Mutual – 87%
- Farmers Insurance – 87%
- The Hartford – 87%
- Progressive – 87%
Persistence will pay off
A few companies do not provide rate quotes online and these small insurance companies prefer to sell through local independent agents. Discount Chevy Volt insurance is attainable online as well as from independent agents in Minneapolis, so you should compare both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
When getting Minneapolis car insurance quotes online, it’s a bad idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many cases, someone dropped physical damage coverage and discovered at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your objective should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
In this article, we covered a lot of ways to reduce Chevy Volt insurance prices online in Minneapolis. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get rates for, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers could even find that the lowest prices are with the smaller companies.
Even more information is available in the articles below:
- State Car Insurance Guides (GEICO)
- Who Has Cheap Minneapolis Car Insurance Quotes for First-time Drivers? (FAQ)
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Institute)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)