It’s an obvious assumption that auto insurance companies don’t want you quoting rates from other companies. Drivers who shop for lower rates will, in all likelihood, switch to a new company because of the good chance of finding a cheaper policy. A recent survey revealed that consumers who made a habit of comparing rate quotes saved about $850 each year compared to those who don’t regularly compare prices.
If finding the lowest price on car insurance in Minneapolis is your ultimate objective, then having some knowledge of how to find and compare insurance premiums can help simplify the process.
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to get affordable car insurance rates in Minneapolis is to compare prices at least once a year from insurance carriers in Minnesota. Prices can be compared by following these guidelines.
- Take a few minutes and learn about how companies set rates and the things you can change to keep rates low. Many policy risk factors that result in higher rates like speeding tickets, accidents and a poor credit score can be improved by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Keep reading for additional ideas to help keep prices low and get additional discounts that may have been overlooked.
- Request price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple companies.
- Compare the quotes to your current policy premium and determine if cheaper Sunfire coverage is available in Minneapolis. If you find better rates and change companies, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
The key thing to know about shopping around is to try to compare the same coverage limits and deductibles on each price quote and and to look at as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this provides a fair rate comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
How to find low cost Pontiac Sunfire insurance in Minneapolis
Getting a low cost price on Pontiac Sunfire insurance is pretty simple and can save money. Drivers just need to spend a few minutes on the computer comparing rate quotes online from several insurance companies.
Online shopping is fast and free, and it replaces the need to go to insurance agents’ offices. The ability to get quotes online can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you have a need for the trained guidance of an agent trained in personal lines coverage. You can, however, comparison shop online and have a local agent actually service the policy.
The following companies have been selected to offer price quotes in Minneapolis, MN. If you want cheaper car insurance in Minneapolis, MN, it’s a good idea that you visit as many as you can to find the lowest car insurance rates.
Insurance in Minnesota serves several purposes
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Minneapolis, paying for insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In Minnesota these limits are 30/60/10 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, it’s guaranteed your bank will have a requirement that you have comprehensive coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your Pontiac at a significantly higher premium and make you pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards your Pontiac Sunfire and your assets. It will also pay for all forms of medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay to defend you if you cause an accident and are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially if you ever need it. But the average driver in Minnesota is overpaying over $820 a year so smart consumers compare quotes at least once a year to ensure rates are competitive.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Some providers don’t necessarily list every discount in a way that’s easy to find, so the following list contains a few of the more common and also the lesser-known ways to save on auto insurance.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars and trucks that have anti-lock braking systems can avoid accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- E-sign Discounts – Many companies provide a small discount simply for signing online.
- Anti-theft System – Cars, trucks, and SUVs optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Air Bag Discount – Cars that have air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- No Accidents – Minneapolis drivers who stay claim-free get the best auto insurance rates as opposed to policyholders that have many claims.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Popular auto insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are included below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include Drive Safe & Save, multiple policy, multiple autos, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and passive restraint.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including defensive driver, seat belt use, military active duty, anti-theft, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and emergency military deployment.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts for multi-car, new graduate, hybrid vehicle, newly retired, new vehicle discount, newly married, and exclusive group savings.
- The Hartford offers premium reductions for bundle, defensive driver, anti-theft, air bag, good student, driver training, and vehicle fuel type.
- MetLife has savings for good student, accident-free, multi-policy, good driver, defensive driver, and claim-free.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-vehicle, multi-policy, good student, continuous coverage, homeowner, and online quote discount.
Check with each company or agent which discounts you qualify for. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply in Minneapolis. If you would like to view insurance companies who offer cheap Pontiac Sunfire insurance quotes in Minnesota, click this link.
Compare rate quotes but buy from a local neighborhood Minneapolis car insurance agent
Some people would rather sit down with an agent and that is OK! Good agents are trained risk managers and give you someone to call. The best thing about comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find the best rates and still have a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, the quote information is immediately sent to local insurance agents that can give you free Minneapolis auto insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to find an agent on your own because quoted prices will be sent immediately to your email address. If you wish to compare prices from one company in particular, you would need to jump over to their website and fill out their quote form.
Deciding on an insurer requires more thought than just a cheap quote. Any agent in Minneapolis should have no problem answering these questions:
- How are they compensated?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
Exclusive and independent Minneapolis car insurance agents
When narrowing the list to find a reliable insurance agency, it’s important to understand the different types of agents and how they are slightly different. Insurance agencies may be either independent or exclusive. Either one can handle insurance, but it’s important to know the difference in the companies they write for because it can influence the type of agent you choose.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents can usually just insure with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. Exclusive agents cannot place coverage with different providers so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive agents in Minneapolis that can give you rate quotes.
Independent agents are not limited to a single company so they can insure your vehicles through lots of different companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If your agent finds better pricing, your policy is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency.
If you are comparing rate quotes, we recommend you include price quotes from at least one independent agent in order to compare the most rates.
Below are independent insurance agents in Minneapolis willing to provide comparison quotes.
True Insurance Agency and Financial Services – Minneapolis Home and Auto Insurance
4708 Excelsior Blvd – St Louis Park, MN 55416 – (952) 388-2006 – View Map
Quote often and quote early
Affordable Pontiac Sunfire insurance in Minneapolis can be sourced on the web and also from your neighborhood Minneapolis agents, so you should compare both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. A few companies do not provide the ability to get a quote online and usually these small, regional companies only sell through local independent agencies.
When shopping online for insurance, you should never reduce needed coverages to save money. There are too many instances where drivers have reduced collision coverage only to regret they didn’t have enough coverage. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate and still be able to protect your assets.
In this article, we presented many ideas to shop for Pontiac Sunfire insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more companies you get premium rates for, the better your comparison will be. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest car insurance rates come from a small mutual company. Smaller companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
Additional insurance information is located at these links:
- Car Insurance FAQ (Trusted Choice)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Government Employees in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Infrequent Drivers in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Toyota Tacoma in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Jeep Wrangler in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Low Income Drivers in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)