If shopping for Minneapolis car insurance quotes online is new to you, it’s easy to be bewildered by the confusing number of online companies all claiming to save you money.
It goes without saying that insurance companies don’t want policyholders to compare prices from other companies. Drivers who shop around for a cheaper policy will most likely buy a different policy because of the good chance of finding lower rate quotes. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that consumers who compared rates regularly saved approximately $850 each year compared to other drivers who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding the cheapest price for car insurance in Minneapolis is the reason for your visit, then understanding how to compare car insurance can save time and make the process easier.
All major car insurance companies like GEICO, State Farm and Progressive allow you to get prices for coverage on the web. Comparing prices online for Kia Niro insurance in Minneapolis is pretty easy as you just type in the coverages you want into the form. After you complete the form, the quote system orders your driving and credit reports and returns pricing information based on these factors.
Getting online rate quotes for Kia Niro insurance in Minneapolis makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it is important to get many rate quotes in order to find a lower rate.
To save time and fill out one form to compare multiple rates now, compare rate quotes from the providers shown below. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended you replicate the limits and deductibles as shown on your current policy. This way, you will have a price comparison using the same coverage and limits.
The providers in the list below can provide price comparisons in Minneapolis, MN. If you wish to find the best car insurance in Minneapolis, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get the most affordable price.
Three main reasons to buy auto insurance
Despite the high insurance cost for a Kia Niro in Minneapolis, paying for auto insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
First, just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability protection in order to drive the car. In Minnesota these limits are 30/60/10 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your Niro has a lienholder, it’s guaranteed your bank will require that you have physical damage coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Kia for a much higher rate and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
Third, auto insurance preserves both your Kia and your personal assets. It will also reimburse you for many types of medical costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney in the event you are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your auto insurance policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of having auto insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially if you ever need it. As of last year, the average driver in Minnesota overpays more than $869 every year so compare rates every year to save money.
Discounts can help lower rates on Kia Niro insurance in Minneapolis
Some providers do not advertise every possible discount very clearly, so the next list breaks down some of the best known and also the lesser-known ways to save on car insurance.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Maintaining low annual mileage may allow you to get cheaper car insurance rates.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Vehicles with factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- Bundled Policy Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with one insurance company you may earn at least 10% off all policies.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers successfully complete driver’s ed class in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Data Collection Discounts – Policyholders that allow their car insurance company to analyze driving habits by installing a telematics device such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system may get a rate reduction if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Multiple Cars – Buying a policy with multiple cars on one policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Resident Student – Children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Minneapolis and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Even though it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, you aren’t that lucky. But any discount will bring down your policy premiums.
Some of the insurance companies that may include some of the discounts shown above are:
If you are trying to find cheaper Minneapolis car insurance quotes, ask each insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Savings may not be offered in your area. To choose companies that offer multiple discounts in Minnesota, click this link.
Independent or exclusive auto insurance agents
Many people still prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that can be a smart move The biggest benefit of getting free rate quotes online is that you can obtain cheaper prices and still buy from a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, the quote information is immediately sent to companies in Minneapolis who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t even need to contact any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go to you. Get lower rates and work with a local agent. If you have a need to get a price quote from a specific company, you can always find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing an company should include more criteria than just a cheap price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Will they give you a referral list?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- How long have they been in business?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
Auto insurance agents in Minneapolis come in two varieties
If you are wanting to purchase insurance from a reputable agency, there are a couple of types of agencies that you can select. Minneapolis agents can be described as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel can only quote rates from one company like American Family, State Farm, and AAA. Exclusive agents cannot give you multiple price quotes so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They are usually well trained on what they offer which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Many people buy insurance from these agents mostly because of high brand loyalty rather than having low rates.
Below is a list of exclusive agents in Minneapolis that are able to give price quote information.
- AAA Minneapolis Insurance
5400 Auto Club Way – Minneapolis, MN 55416 – (952) 927-2518 – View Map
- American Family Insurance – Katie Bard
5459 Nicollet Ave – Minneapolis, MN 55419 – (612) 345-7900 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Lois A. Castaneda
127 W Grant St, # C – Minneapolis, MN 55403 – (612) 871-6830 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agencies
These type of agents can sell policies from many different companies so they can quote policies with a variety of different insurance companies and get the cheapest rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they can switch companies in-house and that require little work on your part. If you need lower rates, it’s recommended you get rate quotes from a couple of independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices. They also have the ability to place coverage with small mutual carriers who may have lower rates.
Below are independent agents in Minneapolis that can give you price quotes.
- Minneapolis Insurance Specialists Team
333 N Washington Ave – Minneapolis, MN 55401 – (612) 460-7796 – View Map
- Semlak Miernicki Insurance Agency
2657 Dupont Ave S – Minneapolis, MN 55408 – (612) 208-0873 – View Map
- Minneapolis St. Paul Agency Insurance and Risk Management
2469 University Ave W – St Paul, MN 55114 – (651) 647-9665 – View Map
Compare. Compare. Compare.
Cost effective Kia Niro insurance is available online and from local agencies, so you should compare both to have the best rate selection. There are still a few companies who do not provide rates over the internet and these regional insurance providers prefer to sell through independent agents.
When buying insurance coverage, do not reduce needed coverages to save money. Too many times, drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to discover later that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your aim should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford.
Insureds who switch companies do it for many reasons like high prices, lack of trust in their agent, policy cancellation or poor customer service. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, choosing a new company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
How to buy lower priced Kia Niro insurance in Minneapolis
Really, the only way to find affordable auto insurance rates in Minneapolis is to regularly compare prices from insurers who provide car insurance in Minnesota. You can compare rates by following these guidelines.
First, try to learn a little about the different coverages in a policy and the measures you can take to prevent rate increases. Many things that cause rate increases such as accidents, careless driving, and poor credit history can be remedied by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
Second, compare prices from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes from multiple companies.
Third, compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find better rates and make a switch, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
One piece of advice is to use identical deductibles and limits on each price quote and and to get price quotes from as many companies as feasibly possible. This provides an accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
Helpful learning opportunities
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- Who Has Cheap Minneapolis Auto Insurance for Homeowners? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Government Employees in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for a Dodge Grand Caravan in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Minneapolis Auto Insurance Quotes for Business Use? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Minneapolis Auto Insurance for a Hyundai Sonata? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Company Car in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)
- What is Covered by GAP Insurance? (Allstate)
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)