The preferred way to get cheaper auto insurance rates in Minneapolis is to do a yearly price comparison from companies in Minnesota. Rates can be compared by following these guidelines.
- First, try to learn a little about the different coverages in a policy and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that cause rate increases like careless driving and a negative credit score can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Second, get rate quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can provide prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Third, compare the price quotes to your existing coverage and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find a lower rate quote and change companies, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
The key thing to remember is to try to compare the same level of coverage on each quote and and to get quotes from as many companies as you can. Doing this helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and a good representation of prices.
It’s astonishing, but most insurance policyholders kept buying from the same company for more than four years, and almost 40% of drivers have never compared rate quotes at all. Many consumers in Minneapolis can save hundreds of dollars each year just by shopping around, but they just don’t want to shop their coverage around.
If you are already insured or need new coverage, take advantage of these tips to cut your premiums and still have adequate protection. These tips will help educate you on the most effective ways to compare rates and some money-saving tips. Drivers just have to know the tricks to shop over the internet.
Score discounts on Minneapolis insurance
Insurance is not inexpensive, but there’s a good chance there are discounts to help bring down the price. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically at the time of purchase, but some must be specifically requested prior to getting the savings.
- Senior Citizen Discount – Seniors can possibly qualify for a small decrease in premiums.
- Theft Deterrent System – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices can help prevent theft and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Drive Less and Save – Maintaining low annual mileage can qualify you for lower prices on the low mileage vehicles.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you combine your auto and homeowners policies and insure them both with the same insurance company you could save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Telematics Data – Drivers who elect to allow their insurance company to monitor driving patterns by using a telematics device such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive may see discounts as long as the data is positive.
- Sign Online – Some companies will provide an incentive for completing your application on their website.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Passing a safe driver course could cut 5% off your bill and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Student in College – College-age children living away from Minneapolis attending college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Minneapolis Homeowners Discount – Owning a house in Minneapolis can save you money since home ownership means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Claim Free – Insureds with no claims or accidents can earn big discounts when compared to accident-prone drivers.
Remember that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it doesn’t quite work that way.
A few companies that may have most of these discounts possibly include:
If you are trying to find affordable Minneapolis auto insurance quotes, ask every insurance company to apply every possible discount. Savings may not be available in Minneapolis. To see a list of providers who offer discounts in Minneapolis, follow this link.
Cutting your insurance rates can be relatively painless. You just need to take a couple of minutes to get quotes to discover which company has low cost Minneapolis auto insurance quotes.
The providers in the list below offer quotes in Minneapolis, MN. If your goal is to find cheap auto insurance in Minnesota, we suggest you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Insurance agents can help
Some consumers just want to sit down with an agent. Good agents will help you protect your assets and give you someone to call. An additional benefit of getting online price quotes is that you can find cheap insurance quotes but still work with a licensed agent.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is sent to local insurance agents who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no reason to contact any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered to you directly. If you have a need to compare prices from a specific company, you can always find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Choosing an company should include more criteria than just a cheap price quote. Before buying a policy in Minneapolis, get answers to these questions.
- Does their agency support local causes in Minneapolis?
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Minneapolis?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
If you are wanting to find a good Minneapolis insurance agent, you must know there are a couple different agency structures from which to choose. Insurance agents can be classified as either independent or exclusive. Both types can sell and service insurance coverage, but it’s worth mentioning how they differ because it may have an impact on which type of agent you select.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These type of agents work for only one company such as Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive insurance agents are usually quite knowledgeable on the products they sell which aids in selling service over price. A lot of people use the same exclusive agent mostly because of the brand and strong financial ratings.
Shown below are exclusive agencies in Minneapolis that are able to give price quotes.
- Kelly Mulligan Allstate Insurance Agency
80 8th St S – Minneapolis, MN 55402 – (612) 713-9253 – View Map
- American Family Insurance – Katie Bard
5459 Nicollet Ave – Minneapolis, MN 55419 – (612) 345-7900 – View Map
- State Farm: Brandon Walter
222 S 9th St #270 – Minneapolis, MN 55402 – (612) 843-8444 – View Map
These agents are appointed with more than one company so as a result can place your coverage with a variety of different insurance companies and get the cheapest rates. If your premiums go up, they simply move the coverage in-house and that require little work on your part. When comparison shopping, it’s a good idea to include several independent agencies in order to compare the most rates. Most also write with smaller regional carriers which may have better rates.
The following is a list of independent agents in Minneapolis willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Moreno Agency – Innovative Insurance
4748 Chicago Ave #2 – Minneapolis, MN 55407 – (612) 584-0077 – View Map
- Patrick J. Thomas Agency
121 S 8th St #980 – Minneapolis, MN 55402 – (612) 339-5522 – View Map
- Abbco Insurance Agency Co.
6227 University Ave NE – Minneapolis, MN 55632 – (763) 571-2880 – View Map
How to find a good Minneapolis auto insurance company
Insuring your vehicle with the best insurer can be challenging considering how many different companies sell coverage in Minnesota. The company ratings in the lists below could help you decide which car insurance providers you want to consider purchasing from.
Top 10 Minneapolis Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- Mercury Insurance
- State Farm
- Safeco Insurance
- American Family
- Titan Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
Top 10 Minneapolis Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- Safeco Insurance
- 21st Century
- Titan Insurance
Persistence pays off
People switch companies for many reasons like policy non-renewal, being labeled a high risk driver, delays in responding to claim requests or even policy cancellation. Regardless of your reason, switching companies is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
Discount Hyundai Equus insurance in Minneapolis is definitely available both online and from local insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who may not have price quotes online and many times these regional carriers sell through independent agents.
We covered quite a bit of information on how to compare Hyundai Equus insurance prices in Minneapolis. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
More tips and info about auto insurance is available in the articles below:
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Minneapolis Car Insurance Rates for Veterans? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Minneapolis Auto Insurance for 17 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)