The recommended way to find cheaper prices for car insurance rates is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from insurance carriers in Minneapolis. Price quotes can be compared by following these guidelines.
- First, read about the coverage provided by your policy and the things you can change to prevent expensive coverage. Many policy risk factors that increase rates such as traffic citations, accidents, and an imperfect credit score can be eliminated by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Continue reading for ideas to prevent high rates and find missing discounts.
- Second, request price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agents can quote prices for a wide range of companies.
- Third, compare the new quotes to your existing coverage and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find a lower rate quote and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Fourth, notify your company or agent of your decision to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit the application along with any required down payment for the new coverage. Be sure to place your new certificate verifying coverage somewhere easily accessible.
The key thing to know about shopping around is that you’ll want to make sure you compare identical deductibles and limits on every price quote and and to get quotes from as many different companies as possible. This helps ensure an accurate price comparison and a thorough price selection.
It’s amazing but over 70% of drivers renewed their policy with the same company for well over three years, and nearly half have never compared car insurance rates at all. Many drivers in Minneapolis could save themselves $1,000 a year, but they just feel it’s too hard to compare rate quotes.
If you have a policy now or are shopping for new coverage, you can use these tips to cut your premiums and still have adequate protection. Our objective in writing this article is to teach you the best methods to compare rates and some tips to save money. Smart shoppers only need to know the quickest method to compare prices instantly.
Cutting your Minneapolis insurance rates can be relatively painless. You just have to take time comparing free Minneapolis auto insurance quotes to see which company has affordable Minneapolis auto insurance quotes.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide free quotes in Minneapolis, MN. To get cheaper car insurance in MN, we recommend you get price quotes from several of them in order to find the most competitive rates.
Auto insurance discounts are available to cut your rates
Auto insurance is expensive, but you might find some hidden discounts that you may not even be aware of. Some discounts will apply when you purchase, but some discounts are required to be asked about before you get the savings. If you are not receiving all the discounts you qualify for, it’s possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- New Vehicle Savings – Putting insurance coverage on a new Baja can save you some money since newer models are generally safer.
- Use Seat Belts – Forcing all vehicle occupants to use their safety belts can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Professional Organizations – Affiliation with qualifying employment or professional organizations could trigger savings on your next auto insurance statement.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may qualify for discounts of 20% or more.
- Drivers Education – Require your teen driver to enroll in driver’s education as it can save substantially.
- Senior Discount – Mature drivers could receive a small discount on rates.
- Early Payment Discounts – By paying your entire bill at once instead of monthly or quarterly installments you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Driving Data Discount – Insureds that choose to allow driving data submission to monitor their driving habits through the use of a telematics system such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system may see discounts if they have good driving habits.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you combine your auto and home policies with the same company you will save up to 20% off your total Baja insurance premium.
A little note about advertised discounts, many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Just because it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, nobody gets a free ride.
Large auto insurance companies and their offered discounts are:
- Progressive may offer discounts for online signing, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, homeowner, and good student.
- The Hartford may have discounts that include anti-theft, driver training, bundle, vehicle fuel type, air bag, and defensive driver.
- Mercury Insurance may include discounts for age of vehicle, professional/association, accident-free, type of vehicle, multi-car, location of vehicle, and good driver.
- GEICO has discounts for air bags, anti-theft, daytime running lights, multi-vehicle, good student, five-year accident-free, and multi-policy.
- AAA includes discounts for education and occupation, multi-car, good driver, good student, AAA membership discount, anti-theft, and pay-in-full.
- State Farm has savings for Drive Safe & Save, driver’s education, accident-free, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple autos, and passive restraint.
Check with each company or agent which credits you are entitled to. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policyholders in Minneapolis. To see companies with discount auto insurance rates in Minneapolis, follow this link.
Learn How to Find Insurance More Affordably
Smart consumers have a good feel for a few of the rating criteria that go into determining the level of your policy premiums. If you understand what determines premiums, this enables informed choices that can help you get lower insurance prices. Many different elements are taken into consideration when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense such as your driving record, but others are more transparent such as whether you are married or your financial responsibility.
The list below includes some of the items insurance companies consider when setting premiums.
- Marriage discount – Walking down the aisle can actually save you money on your insurance bill. Having a spouse may mean you are more responsible it has been statistically shown that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
- Keep the miles off and save – The higher the miles on your Subaru annually the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. A lot of insurance companies rate vehicles based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Autos that have low annual miles can get a lower rate than those that get driven frequently. Ask your agent if your declarations sheet correctly shows the correct usage. An improperly rated Baja may be wasting your money.
- Tickets can increase costs – Having just one ticket can increase the cost of insurance forty percent or more. Careful drivers get better rates as compared to careless drivers. People who have multiple violations like reckless driving or DUI may face state-mandated requirements to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state’s licensing department in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Your career may increase rates – Did you know your insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Careers like fire fighters, air traffic controllers, and stock brokers usually pay higher rates than average in part from high stress and extremely grueling work hours. On the flip side, occupations like actors, historians and the unemployed get better rates.
- Add-on coverages you don’t need – There are many optional add-on coverages that you can buy on your Baja policy. Insurance for things like replacement cost coverage, death and dismemberment, and membership fees are some examples. You may think they are a good idea initially, but if you’ve never needed them in the past think about removing them and cutting costs.
- Discounts for auto and home policies – Most insurance companies provide discounts to insureds who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you qualify for this discount already, drivers will still want to shop around to verify if the discount is saving money. You may still be able to find better rates even if you insure with multiple companies
- Liability protection limits should be high – A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance is the coverage that protects you if a court rules you are at fault for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Liability insurance provides legal defense coverage which can cost a lot. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to comp and collision, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
What if I want to buy from local Minneapolis auto insurance agents?
Some people still like to talk to an insurance agent and that can be a smart move Good agents can make sure you are properly covered and give you someone to call. A nice benefit of comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates and still buy from a local agent. Buying insurance from local agencies is definitely important in Minneapolis.
Upon completion of this short form, your coverage information is transmitted to companies in Minneapolis who can give free rate quotes for your car insurance coverage. There is no reason to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent to you instantly. If you have a need to get a rate quote from a specific car insurance provider, don’t hesitate to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Two types of Minneapolis car insurance agents
If you would like to find a local insurance agency, it’s helpful to know the types of insurance agents and how they function. Car insurance policy providers can either be independent agents or exclusive agents. Both properly insure your vehicles, but it’s important to know the difference in the companies they write for because it may have an impact on which agent you choose.
Independent Insurance Agents
These agents do not write with just one company and that allows them to write policies with an assortment of companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If you want to switch companies, your agent can just switch to a different company without you having to go to a different agency.
If you are comparing rate quotes, we highly recommend that you include rate quotes from several independent insurance agents to have the most options to choose from. A lot of them also have access to smaller regional carriers that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Below is a small list of independent insurance agents in Minneapolis that can give you comparison quotes.
- CBIZ Associated Insurance Agents
2800 Freeway Blvd – Minneapolis, MN 55430 – (763) 549-2200 – View Map
- Bernie Glover Insurance Agency
2520 Lowry Ave N – Minneapolis, MN 55411 – (612) 522-6531 – View Map
- RJF Agencies, Inc.
7225 Northland Dr N #300 – Minneapolis, MN 55428 – (763) 746-8000 – View Map
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only quote rates from one company such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot provide prices from multiple companies so you need to shop around if the rates are high. These agents are very knowledgeable on the products they sell which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Consumers frequently buy from the same agent for years mainly due to the prominence of the brand and strong financial ratings.
Listed below are exclusive insurance agents in Minneapolis who can help you get rate quotes.
- State Farm: Seth Bork Insurance Agency Incorporated
8347 University Ave NE D – Minneapolis, MN 55432 – (763) 780-2222 – View Map
- American Family Insurance – Patrick Fagerlee Agency Inc
3910 Central Ave NE – Minneapolis, MN 55421 – (763) 789-6201 – View Map
- Kelly Mulligan Allstate Insurance Agency
80 8th St S – Minneapolis, MN 55402 – (612) 713-9253 – View Map
Finding a good car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
How do I know if I need professional advice?
Always remember that when buying adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a best way to insure your cars. Every situation is different so your insurance needs to address that.
For example, these questions may help highlight if your insurance needs might need an agent’s assistance.
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- Do I have ACV or replacement cost coverage?
- Will filing a claim cost me more?
- What is the minimum liability in Minnesota?
- Am I insured when driving a different vehicle?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Smart consumers save more
We just covered some good ideas how you can reduce Subaru Baja insurance rates online in Minneapolis. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get car insurance rates for, the better chance you’ll have of finding inexpensive Minneapolis auto insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the best rates are with a small mutual company. Some small companies may have significantly lower car insurance rates on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
Cheaper Subaru Baja insurance in Minneapolis can be sourced online and from local agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance companies do not offer rate quotes online and most of the time these small, regional companies work with independent agents.
Additional learning opportunities
- Auto Insurance Learning Center (State Farm)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Teenagers in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Nissan Rogue in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for College Graduates in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Toyota Tacoma in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)