Unimaginable but true, a large majority of consumers kept their policy with the same company for at least four years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared rates with other companies. Many drivers in Minnesota could save nearly 50% every year, but most just don’t grasp how much savings they would realize if they switched.
The best way to get low-cost car insurance rates in Minneapolis is to compare prices regularly from insurance carriers who provide car insurance in Minnesota. Rate comparisons can be done by following these guidelines.
- Try to learn about how insurance works and the measures you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that drive up the price such as speeding and an unacceptable credit score can be controlled by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Later in this article we will cover additional tips to prevent high rates and get additional discounts that may be available.
- Obtain price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote rates from multiple companies.
- Compare the new quotes to the premium of your current policy and determine if cheaper WRX coverage is available. If you find a lower rate quote, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Notify your agent or company to cancel your current coverage and submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to the new company. As soon as you have the new policy, safely store the proof of insurance certificate in your glove compartment.
An important bit of advice to remember is to make sure you’re comparing the same coverage limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get prices from as many companies as you can. This provides a fair rate comparison and a good representation of prices.
Locating the cheapest coverage in Minneapolis is actually quite simple. Just about every vehicle owner who needs cheaper auto insurance stands a good chance to find a lower-cost company. But Minnesota consumers must learn how the larger insurance companies determine premium rates because it varies considerably.
Affordable companies for Subaru WRX insurance in Minnesota
The companies shown below are ready to provide comparison quotes in Minnesota. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit as many as you can in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Six discounts for lower-cost car insurance rates
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but discounts can save money and there are some available that could help you make your next renewal payment. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically at the time of purchase, but a few need to be manually applied before being credited. If you’re not getting every credit available, you are just wasting money.
- Federal Government Employee – Employees or retirees of the government could qualify for a slight premium decrease with certain companies.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 15% off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you can bundle your homeowners and auto insurance and insure them both with the same insurance company you could earn a discount of up to 20% and get you affordable Subaru WRX insurance rates in Minneapolis.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Factory options such as air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- Pay Early and Save – By paying your policy upfront rather than paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
- Student in College – Children who live away from home at college without a vehicle on campus may be insured at a cheaper rate.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though the math looks like all those discounts means the company will pay you, it just doesn’t work that way.
Larger car insurance companies and their offered discounts are shown below.
- 21st Century offers discounts for homeowners, driver training, student driver, good student, theft prevention, and teen driver.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for Drive Safe & Save, good driver, driver’s education, passive restraint, and defensive driving training.
- AAA may offer discounts for good driver, pay-in-full, education and occupation, multi-policy, good student, multi-car, and AAA membership discount.
- Liberty Mutual may include discounts for safety features, new graduate, new vehicle discount, multi-car, and newly married.
- Progressive may have discounts that include online signing, homeowner, online quote discount, good student, multi-policy, and continuous coverage.
Double check with each company to give you their best rates. Discounts might not apply in Minneapolis. For a list of companies that offer discounts in Minnesota, click this link.
Car insurance is available from agents near you
Many people still like to go talk to an agent and that can be a great decision One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from and supporting neighborhood agents is definitely important in Minneapolis.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, the quote information is emailed to agents in your area who will give competitive quotes for your coverage. There is no reason to do any legwork since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. You can find lower rates and work with a local agent. If you have a need to get a rate quote from a specific company, just go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Two different types of auto insurance agents
When researching a local Minneapolis insurance agent, it’s important to understand the types of insurance agents from which to choose. Car insurance agents in Minneapolis are considered either exclusive or independent.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents in the independent channel are not locked into one company and that gives them the ability to insure through many companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If you are not satisfied with one company, an independent agent can move your coverage which is easy for the insured. If you need cheaper car insurance rates, you absolutely need to get some free quotes from independent agents to have the most options to choose from.
Listed below are Minneapolis independent insurance agencies who may provide free car insurance rate quotes.
Agents in the exclusive channel can only quote rates from one company such as Farmers Insurance and State Farm. These agents are not able to compare other company’s rates so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agencies are very knowledgeable on what they offer which helps them compete with independent agents.
The following are exclusive agencies in Minneapolis that can give you price quotes.
State Farm: Seth Bork Insurance Agency Incorporated
8347 University Ave NE D – Minneapolis, MN 55432 – (763) 780-2222 – View Map
Finding a good insurance agent is decision based upon more than just the bottom line cost. Any agent in Minneapolis should have no problem answering these questions:
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Minnesota?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
Car insurance coverage information
Learning about specific coverages of your car insurance policy aids in choosing which coverages you need for your vehicles. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. Below you’ll find the normal coverages available from car insurance companies.
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like damage from getting keyed, vandalism and hitting a deer. The highest amount your car insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.
Coverage for medical payments
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage pay for immediate expenses like X-ray expenses, ambulance fees and doctor visits. They are often utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if you do not have health coverage. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants as well as any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
This coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as damage to your Subaru WRX.
Since a lot of drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (30/60/10 in Minnesota), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family. Frequently these limits are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Liability insurance protects you from damage or injury you incur to a person or their property. It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. As an example, you may have liability limits of 30/60/10 that translate to $30,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a limit of $60,000 in injury protection per accident, and $10,000 of coverage for damaged property. Some companies may use one number which is a combined single limit that pays claims from the same limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability can pay for things such as pain and suffering, medical services and bail bonds. How much coverage you buy is your choice, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. Minnesota state minimum liability requirements are 30/60/10 but drivers should carry more coverage.
The illustration below demonstrates why buying the state minimum limits may not be high enough to cover claims.
Coverage for collisions
This pays for damage to your WRX caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers claims such as colliding with another moving vehicle, sustaining damage from a pot hole and rolling your car. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. Another option is to choose a higher deductible on your WRX to get cheaper collision coverage.
More effort can pay off
You just read some good ideas how to save on Subaru WRX insurance in Minneapolis. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote Minneapolis car insurance, the better likelihood of getting affordable Subaru WRX insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the best premium rates are with a small local company. Some small companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
Budget-conscious Subaru WRX insurance can be sourced both online as well as from independent agents in Minneapolis, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small, regional companies provide coverage only through independent agents.
More detailed insurance information is located at these sites:
- Vehicle Safety Ratings (iihs.org)
- How Much is Minneapolis Car Insurance for 4×4 Vehicles? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Handicapped Drivers in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Postal Workers in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Safe Drivers in Minneapolis? (FAQ)
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- Determining Your Vehicle’s Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Institute)
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Institute)